Our Ethical Promise
At Rosemary Cottage Eco Store we have done the leg work to ensure that you can be secure in the knowledge you really are purchasing eco friendly products. All of the products we stock are either vegan or vegetarian, they are all cruelty free, organic, as low waste as possible, and there is absolutely no palm oil, sustainable palm oil, or palm derivatives to be found here.
On all of our product listings you will find our list of ‘Ethical Credentials’, this list is intended to help you to make an informed choice about whether the products are ethically suited to you.
Here’s a breakdown of what each credential actually means:
- Organic - Organic products are made with farmed ingredients that haven’t been sprayed with herbicides, synthetic fertilisers and other chemicals. They’re also grown without the use of Genetically Modified Organisms (GM) - this is something vegans should be aware of.
- Vegan - these products are suitable for vegans, therefore there are no animal products in this product at all, this means they are also suitable for vegetarians.
- Vegetarian - these products have no animal derivatives, though you may find other animal products in these products such as honey or animal milk, they are not suitable for vegans.
- NO Parabens - Parabens are chemical preservatives that are intended to prolong the shelf life of beauty products. Not only do we absorb what goes onto our skin, it also washes down the drain and ends up in our oceans to be ingested by marine life. They are chemicals dangerous to our health and the planet’s health when used long term. Ones to avoid: butylparaben, methylparaben and propylparaben.
- NO SLS - SLS stands for Sodium Lauryl Sulfate, its the chemical you find in many products that creates that foaminess we associate with cleanliness - think shampoo and toothpaste. It can aggravate skin complaints such as eczema and psoriasis, and isn’t really needed when there are natural alternatives. We prefer natural products without such nastiness. (Also known as: Lauryl Sulphate Sodium Salt, Sodium Dodecyl Sulphate, and Sodium n-dodecyl sulphate).
- NO Palm Oil or Sustainable Palm Oil - we choose not to sell products with either of these oils. Palm plants are devastated during harvesting destroying the homes of Orangutans, as if that isn’t bad enough - it isn’t sustainable. ‘Sustainable Palm Oil’ is notoriously difficult to trace, so we choose not to sell products containing it until we see total reform in this area.
- Cruelty Free - this mostly covers two aspects; firstly, all the products we sell have only ever been tested on (willing) humans, no animals have been used in the making of any of these products. Secondly, it also means that the makers and workers have been paid a fair wage for the work they are doing to create these products. We ensure the whole process is cruelty free from picking the ingredients, to getting them in your hands.
- Sustainable Ingredients/Materials - these are ingredients/materials that can be produced over and over with no impact on the planet. The ultimate goal.
- Made in the UK - locally made is ideal as it keeps emissions low from transporting it, most of our products are from UK makers, but we also have some from Europe, and a handful from further afield. We make an informed decision of where we stock items from based on a few factors; is it a good cause overall? Is it a global product already? Is it doing good? And so on.
- Supporting small business - we love to support small businesses and artisan makers, in fact, almost all of our makers are small businesses who are passionate and love what they do.
- Single Use Plastic Free - single use plastic; the scourge of the planet. We are delighted that all of our products are single use plastic free.
- Plastic Free - some of our products come with reusable plastic elements, such as refillable bottles with pump mechanisms. With some care these mechanisms should last you for years - make sure to clean out any clogs and to not be too heavy handed. Whilst plastic is not necessarily a good friend of ours, the benefit of having one or two reusable pumps far outweighs how many single use plastics may have been used instead.
- Compostable - If packaging is listed as compostable, this means it will break down but it must have the right conditions to do so i.e. not in a landfill. Often this can be done in your home compost, but sometimes the packaging may advise you to send it to an industrial composter.
- Biodegradable - Technically, everything will biodegrade over time wherever it lands, even plastic eventually does, but it takes 100s of years. So you want to make a decision about how long something may take to break down when you’re choosing how to spend your money. Think materials made from plant cellulose, bamboo, or trees, it will find its way back into the earth a whole lot quicker than other materials.
- Recyclable - If we have to go recyclable, we try to keep it as minimal as possible and prefer to reuse those containers/materials rather than put them in the recycling bin. It is more likely that just a small part of the packaging is recyclable such as the label.
- Reusable - we recommend that you try to find another use for some packaging rather than throwing it out. There is always another life to be found for glass and aluminium containers - take the opportunity to get creative!
- Other - where possible we will give you specific instructions to help you dispose of any waste appropriately for each product.